2002 ISDA Equity Derivatives Definitions
A Jolly Contrarian owner’s manual™
2.1 in a Nutshell™
The JC’s Nutshell™ summaries are moving to the subscription-only ninja tier. For the cost of ½ a weekly 🍺 you can get them here. Sign up at Substack.
2.1 in all its glory
. Certain Definitions and Provisions Relating to Option Transactions
. When used in relation to an Option Transaction
, the following terms have the indicated meanings:
- 2.1(a) Commencement Date. “Commencement Date” means, in respect of an American Option Transaction, the date specified as such in the related Confirmation or, if such date is not a Scheduled Trading Day, the next following Scheduled Trading Day. If no such date is specified, the Commencement Date shall be the Trade Date.
- 2.1(b) Number of Options. “Number of Options” means the number specified as such in the related Confirmation, being the number of Options comprised in the relevant Option Transaction.
- 2.1(c) Option Entitlement. “Option Entitlement” means, in respect of a Share Option Transaction, the number of Shares per Option specified as such in the related Confirmation and, in respect of a Share Basket Option Transaction, the number of Baskets per Option specified as such in the related Confirmation. In the event that no Option Entitlement is specified in the related Confirmation, the Option Entitlement in respect of any Share Option Transaction shall be one Share per Option, and in respect of any Share Basket Option Transaction shall be one Basket per Option.
- 2.1(d) Option. “Option” means, in respect of an Option Transaction, each unit into which the Option Transaction is divided for purposes of exercise, valuation or settlement.
- 2.1(e) Strike Price. “Strike Price” means:
- (i) in respect of an Index Option Transaction, the level of the relevant Index specified or otherwise determined as provided in the related Confirmation;
- (ii) in respect of a Share Option Transaction, the price per Share specified or otherwise determined as provided in the related Confirmation;
- (iii) in respect of an Index Basket Option Transaction, the amount per Basket specified or otherwise determined as provided in the related Confirmation; and
- (iv) in respect of a Share Basket Option Transaction, the amount per Basket specified or otherwise determined as provided in the related Confirmation.
Resources and Navigation
Not much to get excited about here — some for prose stylists to get disappointed about, but who cares about them, eh?
Commencement Date is relevant only for American Options — those which are exercisable at any time during their term, of course, so you do need to know when the term starts — and indeed only appears once in the 2002 ISDA Equity Derivatives Definitions outside the actual definition in Section 2.1(a). I know what you are thinking, about the perfectly good trees that might be with us today.
The rest of these definitions are mechanical enough almost to go without saying — but that is not how ISDA’s crack drafting squad™ rolls, is it?
Here the free bit runs out. Subscribers click 👉 here
. New readers sign up 👉 here
and, for ½ a weekly 🍺 go full ninja about all these juicy topics
- The JC’s famous Nutshell™ summary of this clause
- ↑ To be contrasted with European Options, which are only exercisable on one day — usually expiry.