Why your job is safe
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|The JC pontificates about technology |
An occasional series.
An occasional running series intended to pose the question: when will Adam Curtis’ assertion that the vaunted predictive power of big data is a “modern ghost story”.
Your job is safe as long as:
- Those splendid data-wizard brainboxes at Goldman Sachs can get their predictions this wrong ==>
- Google thinks this ==> is a sensible win prediction for a cricket match.
- Or, for that matter, this ==>
- Microsoft’s auto-correct for “bhusiness” suggests “bushiness” but not “business”.
- Android voice recognition interprets “Richard Strauss” as “Richard’s trouser”.
- Amazon can send push notification to a customer with adult children and no car, about whom it has 25 years of rich data, guessing that he would like a new car-seat